Update! Blab Session on Mindful Gift Ideas
Previously we did a holiday blab session with Bruce Clay, Inc’s SEO Superstars Virginia Nussey and Kristi Kellogg along with The Buyer Group’s Navah Berg and Social PR hostess with the mostest, Lisa Buyer.
It’s the Social PR gift giving dilemma: You have no idea what to get your public relations friends. They are the ones who are eternally social media obsessed and digitally chained to devices. Have no fear, gift giving hope is here. I’ve curated the most practical, mindful, educational, and in some ways brilliant presents from the seriously zen to the social media committed to the nerdy but fun overachiever.
Gifts for the PR Periscope Pro
For the progressive Social PR pro who is on top of the latest trends; Periscope equipment is surely on their most wanted list. The live video-streaming app Periscope took off big-time in 2015; Wednesday, Apple named it the coveted iPhone App of the Year in its annual year-end ranking of the best in mobile tech. Look at some of these recommended Periscope equipment gift ideas from the source itself:
- Periscope Tip Book [Free]
The Gift of Space
Creating space in your life for opportunity can be difficult; so why not make it easier with a gift that is guaranteed to add a sense of balance and presence? Sometimes it’s just a little more space in your mind and body needed to get the work done and navigate through our busy Social PR lives starting with a breath.
“Breathing serves a lot of purposes,” Nihal Mehta, mobile entrepreneur and philanthropist told attendees at Wisdom 2.0 in New York. “Breath brings you to the present moment. In the present, you can make decisions of how you want to be and what you want to do.”
He points to the trend of more business models where the success of your customers or service ties directly to your success; nobody loses.
So what are some mindful gifts to keep the Social PR pro going?
- A Yoga Mat – This piece of mindful real estate is the essential tool to motivate the mood forward but buyers beware, choose your mat wisely and don’t cheap out on this gift. Lululemon is a good source.
- YogaGlo – 3000 classes from 5 to 120 minutes, this is a great subscription based yoga and meditation classes available anytime, anywhere all you need is a laptop or mobile phone (and that yoga mat).
- Buddhify – Dubbed the modern-day CEO’s secret weapon, meditation is my go-to that keeps my sanity and creativity using Buddhify, the most convenient, best value and most beautiful meditation app available. Period. Stressed out about a deadline? Can’t sleep? Ready for a big presentation? Buddhify has a track for that.
- FitBit – The wearable market is exploding for a reason, and FitBit gives us the gift of analytics for your mind and body to keep you going and on track, for you!
- Wisdom 2.0 – Bring mindfulness to the agency workplace the same way Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn are doing, with a pass to this ground-breaking conference.
- A Very Mindful Christmas E-Book – The founders of Buddhify have a major book on modern mindfulness coming out in 2016, but they just released a short eBook especially for those of you who’d like to bring more mindfulness to the holiday season available for $1.99 on Amazon.
Sitting all day in front of a computer can cause serious health and wellness problems. Think about a gift that’s a step further, look into giving or getting a stand-up desk; or even better a TrekDesk. .
The best advice I can give anyone in the business world is to never stop learning. Whether you are a recent graduate or have 30 years experience, business continues to change drastically because of the real-time social media world. Be sure to change with the time via these gifts for the change agents:
- Social PR Secrets – My shameless plug for the book I wrote as a way for PR professionals (or anyone) to connect the dots between public relations, search marketing, and social media.
- The Art of Social Media – Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick deliver action-packed steps to get social with public relations. I recommend the digital version to get all the digital links to tons of resources.
- #AskGaryVee – This forward thinking author’s social media book is due out in March 2016, but pre-order now. If anything, it is a gift to yourself to follow him and get out of the traditional PR box.
- A Social Media Conference Pass – Pubcon Masters Session, Social Media Marketing Week, Social Pro and more.
- A Book on SEO – Ever felt like your SEO team or agency was speaking a different language? Read Search Engine Optimization All-in-One For Dummies and get in the game. At the very least, every Social PR practitioner should have a fundamental understanding of SEO and how to optimize content for websites, blogs, and social media networks.
- 1Password: Have you ever forgotten a password? Of course, you have. 1Password creates strong, unique passwords for any website or blog and saves it with a single tap….along with an app for Social PR pros on the run. It’s simple, convenient security.
- Oculus Rift – Enjoy a mini getaway with virtual reality. Why? Not because your Social PR pro needs it, but because they want it!
Workplace Design and Creativity
For the PR pros looking to take your social media or personal brand to the next level in 2016 and beyond, consider giving some of these digital gifts designed to unleash creativity and power up their PR game.
- Canva for Work – 1 Year Subscription – Working smarter, branding power and visual storytelling are at a critical intersection in 2016. Canva lets you gear up with the essentials of DIY creativity that gives Madison Avenue results. The gift of Canva can boost brand power by 100%, according to unofficial studies.
- iPad Pro – Well you know, anything Apple just automatically makes your life easier and happier.
- Apple Pencil – Combine Canva for Work, the iPad Pro, and the Apple Pencil and you might just send someone into a Social PR state of ecstasy.
- A Cord Buddy to keep all your Social PR Pro’s digital plugs connected.
Social PR pros are always on the go and looking for a quick pick me up. Give your favorite spin master their favorite caffeinated or decaf beverage or even bring in some massage therapy to ease the client/deadline pain. Rumor has it that forward-thinking agencies like aimClear make it part of the work/life balance to bring in massage therapy to the office on occasion.
- Starbucks Gift Card is a sure winner to bring daily cheer and energy to someone’s inbox.
- Wellness Tea Set – Check out this one at AhaLife.
- Massage – Taking a break with massage can stimulate the brain and recharge it!
- Candles and Essential Oils – These can help set the office mood for positive energy, creative thinking, and calmness.
- Go Fish Water Feature – How about an underwater landscape fish bowl for conversation and creative starters? Now your Social PR friends won’t be lonely in their home office with this gift swimming on their desk.
In Your Digital Head
Social PR pros are known to work at the nearest Starbucks, Panera Bread or even parked cars! Give them a present to block out the noise and bring in the inspiration.
- Headset or Earbuds – I heard Sol Republic is the source for style and sound
- A One Year Music Subscription from Apple, Pandora or Spotify – – Who doesn’t want one year without any commercials while listening to music? Buy one year paid subscription for commercial free listening.
- Adele’s 25 album – get it from iTunes or the old-school way via Target.
- Sonos – Delivers great sound and allows you to stream (via wifi) Pandora, your new Adele album or Spotify from anywhere with a touch of an app.
Productive Fashion Works
Looking good means you feel good. Progressive and personalized online retailers like Birchbox, Ipsy, Fabletics, and StitchFix allow you to customize the gift with a Social PR fashion statement.
- Fabletics – When I work from home my Fabletics clothes take me from home office, to plank pose, to carpool pick up, or even happy hour. Working out and working have now morphed into one, so why not make it easy and stylish thanks to Kate Hudson’s activewear for women and now men too!
- StitchFix – It’s those conference and meeting times that leaves no time for shopping but critical moments of wardrobe control. Meet your personal stylist that will send you monthly outfits that match your personality and Social PR work event schedule. You can customize a gift card and let the stylists take care of the rest.
Social PR Karma
- The Holstee Manifesto Poster – The Holstee Manifesto is a daily reminder of the values we live and work for. “This is your life, do what you love.” Buy it, hang it and live it from Holstee.
- Adopt an Animal – Name a Cockroach – after your ex-client, boss or lover. Nothing says, “I’ve moved on” like adopting a giant cuddly cockroach in the name of your favorite ex. We just had to throw that one in!
Do you have a gift idea to add? Share with us your best gift ideas for the Social PR pro.
Remember life is a like a boomerang, what you give is what you get.
Image Source: Adele Album Cover Image Source: Holstee Manifesto Poster Image Source: Fabletics Image Source: Buddhify App